Red Lentil Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes | 6 Servings
- 1 tsp coconut or olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2-3 medium carrots about 3 cups chopped
- 1 stalk of celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- 400 g canned tomatoes
- 6 cups / 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- 1 cup red split lentils soaked
- 1 cup spinach
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for a couple of minutes or until soft and fragrant.
- Stir in the carrots, celery and cook for another minute or two. Add spices, stirring to coat the vegetables.
- Add tomatoes and pour the vegetable stock in.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a rolling boil. Add the lentils and reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the spinach.