$1.92 – $11.99 lb
Out of stock
- — Certified Organic
- — Kosher
- — Low in Saturated Fat
- — Very low in Cholesterol and Sodium
- — Good source of Iron, Magnesium and Phosphorus
- — Very good source of Manganese
- — Country of Origin: India
Amaranth is a healthy grain that people has cultivated for millennia. Initially, it comes from South America where it used to play a significant part in numerous Aztec ceremonies and rituals. As those were the native’s religious practices, the conquistadores banned them and forbade the cultivation of the amaranth plant as a whole. However, the health benefits of this fantastic grain ensured that it hadn’t been forgotten and nowadays it enjoys the return to the glory it deserves.
As a healthy, low-calorie, gluten-free food, amaranth can be incorporated into almost any dietary meal plan. It has a subtle, rather pleasant flavor, which allows including it into various dishes, both sweet and savory. Buy Certified Organic Amaranth from Food To Live in bulk to get this fantastic food delivered right to you so you can start trying out all those wonderful recipes.
Amaranth Grain: Benefits for Health and Diet
As a rich source of dietary fiber, amaranth helps maintain and promote the health of your digestive system. Don’t forget that fiber also soaks up some toxins from your body and naturally removes them. Therefore, this element is essential for supporting your health as a whole. It’s advised that adult men consume 30 grams of fiber per day and women – 25. A cup of cooked amaranth will give you over 5 of them.
Amaranth is one of the best grain choices for vegans, athletes, and bodybuilders as these groups of people require a higher intake of protein. It’s a low-calorie food that is filled with a variety of easily digestible amino acids, which makes it more beneficial than the majority of protein-rich foods. The amaranth grain contains more protein than even quinoa and twice the amount offered by brown rice.
Amaranth is not technically a cereal grain, although we classify it as such. It’s a seed with nutritional properties similar to whole grains. It’s completely gluten-free so that you can use amaranth flour as an alternative to wheat.
Amaranth: Nutrition Value
The most important reason why everyone should consider eating amaranth is the exceedingly high nutritional value of this food. The vitamins and minerals it contains in rather large amounts include:
- B vitamins
Note that both calcium and iron are rare in most foods, so people should consume products, abundant in them, at every opportunity.
Amaranth Recipes and Uses
You can use amaranth as a breakfast cereal or add it to salads and stews. In essence, you can include it into any recipe that requires grains. Amaranth cookies, bread, and crackers are particularly tasty and 100% gluten-free.
Cooking amaranth grain takes about 25 minutes. Put the seeds in a pot and add 2 ½ cups of water per every cup of grain. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer for 20 minutes. Be sure to cover the pot.
How to Store Amaranth Grain
Store amaranth seeds as you would any grain, which means keeping them in an airtight container in a cool pantry. Amaranth doesn’t need to be refrigerated, but this will increase its shelf life to almost indefinite.
How to Sprout Amaranth Grain at Home
- Yields approximately 3 Cups (1/2 lb.) of Sprouts. Prep 3 Tablespoons of seed, then transfer into a bowl or into your Sprouter. Add 2-3 times as much cool (60°-70°) water. Mix seeds up to assure even water contact for all.
- Allow seeds to soak for 6-12 hours. Empty the seeds into your Sprouter (if necessary). Drain off the soak water. Rinse thoroughly with cool (60°-70°) water. Drain thoroughly! Set your Sprouter anywhere out of direct sunlight and at room temperature (70° is optimal) between Rinses. Ensure sufficient air-circulation is provided.
- Always be sure to Drain very thoroughly. The most common cause of inferior sprouts is inadequate drainage. Rinse and Drain again every 8-12 hours for 3 days.
Enjoy your home-made sprouts!
Do you want to buy our products with discount?
We send discount coupons for every holidays